ABI PET Collection Program
Edge assesses the feasibility and sustainability of ABI’s existing ESD program.
Amalgamated Beverage Industries (ABI), is the soft drink division of The South African Breweries Limited and is one of the leading soft drink businesses in SABMiller plc.
ABI strives to be the most admired company in South Africa and partner, investment and employer of choice. It is with these ambitions that ABI makes a concerted effort to ensure it maintains its reputation as a good corporate citizen by embracing the spirit of the B-BBEE codes rather than just the letter.
In 2012, ABI approached Edge Growth to assess the feasibility and sustainability of each of the initiatives compromising their PET Collection Program, a plastic recycling program designed to reduce waste and provide employment for previously disadvantaged people.
Edge Growth conducted the feasibility study and provided comprehensive recommendations regarding the effectiveness of each PET collection initiative in achieving ABI’s sustainable development goals.
Post the approval of the recommendations, Edge assisted ABI with the implementation of the Schools Implementation Program and Thembisa Collection Project:
- The Schools Implementation Program is premised on driving waste collection in communities through local schools. A team of young people within these communities have been enlisted as recycling soldiers to offer the schools day-to-day support in the waste collection drive, which has created employment and skills development opportunities for these youths. The school collecting the most waste stands to win prizes.
- The second PET collection project is focused on providing business development support to “Mama’s” in Tembisa to assist them in converting their collection efforts into a sustainable business.
Edge Growth applied the following approach that lead to the successful implementation of the above mentioned programs:
- Gathering information and conducting on-site assessments to establish the capability of each of the program initiatives.
- Conducting the feasibility assessment, financial modelling and business case development to determine the economic, social and financial sustainability of each initiative.
- Conducting a gap analysis to understand the key constraints and growth drivers for each initiative.
- Determining the scalability and market assessment to determine the growth potential of each initiative.
- Documenting and presenting of recommendations and findings.
- Managing the programs selected on the back of the approval of the recommendations.
- Monitoring and evaluation of selected program initiatives to assess SME progress and operational sustainability over time.
Fund designed to channel investment from the savings and investment industry into SME development.
Growth finance from the Vumela Fund for enables SME to expand locally and internationally both in existing and new markets.
Work with SME increases capacity, better targets customers and creates new jobs.